Kopete Test Plan

Geoff Huang geoff at red8.org
Thu Sep 22 00:28:47 CEST 2005

Hi there,

About a month ago, there was some discussion on this
list about regressions, quality, and test procedures
for KDE.  The thread appears here:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-quality/2005-August/001644.html

In August, I'd volunteered to write up a test plan,
demonstrating how I think regression testing should
proceed.  I'm nearly complete with a UI test plan for
Kopete, which is at
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KopeteTestPlan.

I've tried to hit all the UI pieces I could; the only
part I have yet to do is the configuration of the
Notifications (there's a lot of functionality to test
here).  In any case, I think that this test plan
provides a good example of what a regression test plan
should look like.

My opinion is that during (or even before) active
development happens for any software,
developers/testers should complete a test plan.  This
allows everyone to agree on functionality, and it
allows everybody to verify subsequent versions are
functioning as they're supposed to.  Additionally,
before a major release, testers need to run through
the test plan to verify nothing has broken.  Along
these lines, whenever new functionality is added, the
test plan needs to be modified to include the new
functionality.

There was previously discussion about how automation
of UI tests is unfeasible, given lack of free UI
automation tools.  I don't know anything about this,
so I can't comment to this, but generally I would
encourage as much automation as possible.

-g