"hacking..." -Amen

Jesse Haubrich jesse.haubrich at gmail.com
Thu May 5 03:54:16 CEST 2005

> You already know my take: one great way to convince other developers to
> do something is to spend some time with "their" applications. People
> will know you better, and react to your ideas.

Well put! That is certainly the unwritten guide to getting things done
in OSS.  I haven't contributed code (yet), so I don't know what it's
like to discover that someone else finds your efforts significant and
wishes to help you document, but I can imagine that is a motivational
experience.

It has amplified sense of community that I *do* find motivational. You'd
have much better luck with this than cheese anyways :P

I love to build things with my hands and mind, and I love the sense of
community that OSS has.  That is why I'm involved. That is what
motivates me.

> I didn't try to do a ui guidelines review yet, but I think most
> developers will welcome one. I would recommend doing a very
> comprehensive review, including a shortcut keys coherency and
> accessibility review, a *general* (not one specific item) KDE User
> Interface Guidelines conformance review, etc... The OpenUsability effort
> gets great feedback from developers because people respect the hard work
> put into a detailed review. FGor ideas, see:

What a great idea! Use a blog to honestly critique software as a way to
improve it. As long as the blog stayed honest it would be, for the most
part, flame resistant.

Perhaps James would be good for this since he seems to have a good
energy for critiquing compliance to standards.  There aren't a whole lot
of people who have the aptitude or energy for something like this.

Jesse Haubrich

"There isn't anything in the middle of the road but a yellow line and
dead armadillos" ~Jim Hightower