Needed?? The Suggestion Box??

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Mar 25 06:35:57 CET 2005

http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9933

<< I am not asking the OSS developers to implement every little thing
that's asked out there, I am asking them to simply take users into
account and get an idea of what the whole of their user base needs. >>

I don't know the answers, but I have seen the problem for a while.

As I see it the measure of excellence in software is how well it meets
the needs of the users.

AJS seems to feel that such a statement is "bitching on the Internet":

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/

Monday, March 14, 2005

<< so all you disgruntled users: scratch your itch. come up with some
sort of system that works for you and invite the developers to it. make
it inviting. make it worth our while and your while. you're the only
ones who know what you want. so hack the system to get it.>>

Well, according to classic behavioral psychology, what we need to do is
change the contingencies of reinforcement.  But, as I see it, the
current system has the developers reinforcing themselves.  I don't see
that paying developers, as has been suggested, is the answer.  In a way,
AJS is correct, a change of culture is what is needed.  I come from a
different culture -- the engineering culture rather than the hacker
culture -- and I find meeting the needs of the users by making a better
product to be reinforcing.

--
JRT