The future of HiColor

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jun 19 04:33:42 CEST 2005

Henrique Pinto wrote:
> Em Sáb 18 Jun 2005 18:47, James Richard Tyrer escreveu:
>
>> KDE needs to do the same thing -- fully support the HiColor icon
>> theme.
>

> If I understood correctly the whole issue, Jonathan Riddell started
> doing that,

He moved only the application icons and he installed the Crystal style
icons as "hicolor" even if a HiColor icon existed.  This is not
supporting HiColor as GNOME has done.

> but you complained about installing Crystal icons as hicolor. (I
> think your point was that kdeclassic icons were better suited for
> hicolor than Crystal ones, but I don't remember the discussion very
> well).

One point that Stephan Kulow made was:

<<
It was my assumption, Jonathan only moved those that have _no_ hicolor
equivalent worth looking at.

I presume that in all cases that the old HiColor (some now installed as
"kdeclassic") would be "worth looking at" and should be used.

IAC, this is not what happened.  He moved the Crystal style icons to
HiColor even if a KDEClassic or HiColor icon was available.

> What is exactly your proposal for solving that?

My proposal was what I thought was obvious.

For the application icons, the old HiColor icons (which were moved to
KDE Classic) should be moved back to HiColor.

Where HiColor icons were removed, they should be put back.  In some
cases, the names might need to be updated.

Where HiColor icons were installed as "crystalsvg" this should be corrected.

It retrospect, it might appear that the KDEClassic theme was a mistake.
   However that isn't really the case.  The KDEClassic theme needs to
exist, but most (if not all) of the icons in it should be currently
installed as: "hicolor".  Only if a more modern HiColor icon is
installed in "hicolor" would the KDE-2 HiColor icons be moved to KDEClassic.

When the were created, the KDEClassic icons were HiColor.  So, it
appears to me that they still are HiColor icons and we should use them.

I would not install any Crystal style icons as: "hicolor".  I don't know
how many apps don't have either a KDEClassic icons or an old HiColor
icon that has gone missing (probably still somewhere in SVN).  I would
expect that it wouldn't be very many.  We will need to make new HiColor
icons for these.

--
JRT