The future of HiColor

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 17 23:42:27 CEST 2005

Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:49:48 -0700, "James Richard Tyrer"
> <tyrerj at acm.org> said:
>
>> How do I find out the future of the HiColor icon theme?
>

> I personally don't think HiColor is an icon theme.

Well, it isn't really a theme because it is supposed to be "unthemed".

> It is just another name for "default", chosen for compatibility
> reasons. What the default should be... That's another question.

Well actually there are two defaults.  There is the KDE default which is
currently Crystal SVG (the KDE default being the icon theme that is used
unless the user selects something different) and then there is the
permanent fall back theme which is HiColor.  All desktops are supposed
to fall back to HiColor when they can not find an icon in the selected
theme.

>> And, how do I find out if I am actually the maintainer or am out of
>> a job.
>

> Is there a maintainer for the KDE classic icon theme?

No, AFAIK, KDE Classic is basically unmaintained.  Nothing new will ever
be added to it since it is the icons from KDE-2 -- new HiColor icons
will not really be KDEClassic style although currently new MIME types
would be based on the KDEClassic "empty".  The only maintenance would be
to add missing sizes (specifically 22x22) of existing icons.  I could
also work on that if cubic oversampled reductions from 32x32 or 48x48
are acceptable.

This is confused by the fact that the only way to use HiColor icons is
to select KDEClassic.  This isn't really a problem at present, but it
might need to be changed in the future.

How do you get an Icon theme to be listed in the KCM for Icon Themes?

> Isn't this what you ment to do?

No, Kenneth Wimer <wimer at suse.de> asked me to maintain HiColor and I had
started on trying to straighten out the mess -- HiColor icons installed
as "crystalsvg".

--
JRT