KFind

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Jun 2 01:26:21 CEST 2005

Hi Sergej,

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 18:26, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 30 May 2005 08:30, Sergejs Melderis wrote:
> > I am Sergejs Melderis, student in Computer Science. It's been a year
> > since I was exposed to Linux and KDE and now I use it on my Desktop every
> > day. I
>
> welcome, Sergejs! =)
>
> > know C++ and I know some Qt. For some reason I often use Kfind and every
> > time I use it I don't like it and I think it needs improvement or may be

Yes, definitely :-)
I started playing a bit with the UI, but not really to my satisfaction, you
can find it in kdenonbeta/kfind-revisited (but I'm not sure it's worth
looking at this stuff).

IMO the Mac OS X find tool is very nice with the "Add more stuff" (or what it
is called exactly) button. Basically I'd like to see the UI of kfind eolve in
this direction (it seems gnome did this already). I don't know how the Win XP
find tool looks, but the Win 2K find tool IMO sucks, with its strange way to
access advanced options and to select the folder to search from.

> > jobs in summer but I think I'll find some time to work on it.  If
> > somebody is already working on this task I can join.
>
> by all means feel free to dive on in! you should probably contact Eric
> Coquelle (coquelle at caramail dot com) as he is listed as the current
> maintainer,

I have the impression that he doesn't maintain it very actively. From time to
time I work a bit on it, so you can consider me a co-maintainer.
Baris Metin <baris at uludag.org.tr> and Fred Schaettgen <Sch at ttgen.net> also
expressed their interest to work on kfind, but they didn't find time yet. So
if you have ideas/suggestions, maybe put them on CC.

Some things I'd like to see in kfind:
-make the columns in the result list on- and off-switchable, this setting
should be stored (probaly RMB on the headers)
-make the column order configurable (by dragging them)
-make it possible to exclude folders from the search
-make it possible to search in more than one folder
-make the mimetype selection combobox more prominent, this could be a nice
feature, instead of specifying a filename pattern
-search by "filename matches wildcard: " (as it is now), additionally
"Filename contains:" and "Filename matches regexp" (this already works in
kdenonbeta/kfind-revisited/)
-maybe use grep if searching text files on the local disk ? (it's damn fast,
as you can see in kdevelop)
...and more :-)

Bye
Alex