Massive Konqueror Regression

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Aug 19 23:07:01 CEST 2005

Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:50:36 -0700, "Geoffrey Huang" <geoff at red8.org>
> said:
>
>>This seems to contradict what Christian had said.  Just to be clear,
>>you're suggesting I create a new list specifically for QA issues, right?
>>The kde-quality list shouldn't get confused with this?
>

> The current kde-quality project is about coordinating the efforts to
> bring new contributors, and to provide support for these new
> contributors (especially non programmers). So it is a project "for all
> people who care about KDE quality", but it is not a QA project. The name
> is a bit misleading, and that is something I want to correct.
>
> So yes, I recommend opening a new list for QA issues. But using this
> list to discuss the grounds of a QA project is totally on topic :) So
> feel free to use this list and take your time. We are here to support
> you.

Carlos:

These two objectives (new people and quality) are not totally unrelated.
  We can increase KDE quality by involving new contributors who are
non-programmers and programmers new to GUI development.

Your past experiences with the list should not be taken as a failure, it
should simply be taken as useful experience.  My take on this (and your
experience tends to indicate this as well) is that such people are not
self starters and what is needed is to get them into specific projects
to polish KDE.  I have suggested two possible projects:

	KDE GUI standards certification for apps.

	ATD (Attention To Detail) where very small "rough corners" that
	need polishing are identified.

These are both QA projects which could also involve new people.

Other suggestions are that we have a suggestion box so that small (and
sometimes vague [doesn't mean that I am not happy to hear from the
users]) suggestions don't clog up BugZilla and that there be a specific
place to report URLS that don't work so that these don't clog up BugZilla.

While I am still new to GUI programing, I could probably fix most menu
issues (complete documentation of the XML *.rc files would be a great
help [but I don't know enough to write it]).  And work on many small
rough edges as well.  I would do these things, and I think that others
would as well, if the main developers were more receptive to this help.
  Some projects (e.g. XFree86) have a specific address to send proposed
patches too.  Perhaps quality team support is needed with that as well.

--
JRT