Guided tour, spoken documentation

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 20 21:40:01 CEST 2005

Hi Benjamin,
(Sorry for the lag - just got back from holiday and saw your message)
> 	My company sells plenty of Linux systems, and one of the most requested
> items is a tour, walkthough, getting started guide, or something of the
> sort. Since we usually install SuSE Linux, they have somewhat of a guided
> tour, but recently Linspire (ugh) introduced a spoken system.

KDE has an old "quickstart" guide (which IIRC is unmaintained) which you can
view by entering help:/khelpcenter/quickstart in konqueror. If you'd be
interested in updating or expanding the guide, or generally discussing it (it
might be best as some sort of framework that distributors can modify to suit
their particular distribution, as an example off the top of my head), please
pop in to kde-doc-english at kde.org, where you can find the KDE documentation
team. You can also find us on IRC in #kde-docs on irc.freenode.net .

> 	Has anyone already started making any spoken systems?  My speech is mostly
> inspired by the accent of Michigan, and I have good inflection and tone, so
> it should be easily understood by most people.

AFAIK, no one is working on such a system, but it would be an interesting
idea. I think that, again, the best place to discuss this would be the
kde-doc-english mailing list or IRC channel.

Regards,
Philip