Massive Konqueror Regression

David van Hoose david.vanhoose at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 05:14:15 CEST 2005

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 August 2005 06:37, David van Hoose wrote:
>
>>Very true indeed. I helped out with testing KDE 2 and it was really fun,
>>but when KDE 3 beta came out, I couldn't spend as much time with it as
>>it needed because of all of the bugs. There needs to be a set of
>>regressions that are run after developmental changes.
>

> i feel like i'm talking to a brick wall here. we could have 10x the number of
> regression tests we currently have and there would still be bugs that get
> through. we need more people (e.g. not developers) doing q/a testing. i've
> explained why a few times now, so tell me: what part of that explanation is
> not clear enough?

What isn't clear enough to me is why code isn't tested AT ALL before
going into beta. Does KDE undergo alpha testing? Due to its opensource
nature, I will go out on a limb here and so no it isn't. Patches come in
untested. There needs to be someone that does alpha tests on each patch.
Yes, this will take time. Yes, it's a dirty job. But think about it for
a few seconds and you'll come to a realization that if you don't, you'll
just have to test it later or wait until a bug is found in it. The best
regression testing is knowing what you're modifying, and checking to see
if it breaks anything.
If you don't believe this to be worthy of the KDE team, then tell me how
many confirmed and undconfirmed bugs there are in the database.
I'll stop trying to make this clear now since if it isn't now, it never
will be.

-David