Massive Konqueror Regression

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 15 14:41:35 CEST 2005

On Monday 15 August 2005 06:27, David van Hoose wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 August 2005 09:08, David van Hoose wrote:
> >>Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> But this is not always possible since some pages are several hundred
> lines long, and if you don't know what is broken, then you don't know
> what to put in the "simple test case." I've identified what it does and
> its effect, but I don't know where in Konqueror it is. I do know that it
> worked before and doesn't now.

and yet you magically expect others to be able to do this when you don't even
let them know what the general problem is? you say you want things to get
better, but i have the sneaking suspicion bitching is more important to you
than actually helping.

> > that's the most basic of things that one can do and it really helps when
> > people do it. the kicker crash on logout problems could have been
> > identified and fixed BEFORE 3.4.x if more end users had used the 3.4.x
> > pre-releases for day to day work with their normal configurations.
>
> And why didn't the KDE developers find this bug from beta testing?

as i've explained already: it takes a lot of resources to test every single
possible site out there. the Safari developers wrote an interesting blog
about this a while back: the web is huge and massively broken. testing
against every page out there is nearly impossible. breakages will happen. and
this was Apple and their well funded team of full time developers.

to improve the testing, we need more testers.

> >>I've also experienced several
> >>deadlocks with the panel as well when configuring it from the Control
> >>Center. It deadlocks and KDE must be forcibly restarted to correct it.
> >
> > this is almost certainly your X server .... there's not much kicker can
> > do itself to deadlock your entire session ...
>
> Sorry, but this ONLY occurs with the new version of KDE so it is very
> much NOT an X problem.

it couldn't be that kicker is doing something new, but perfectly legal, that
your X server is choking over because there is a bug in it? yes, obviously it
COULD be and given what you described it almost certainly is.

seriously, are you going to be putting any effort into helping with the beta
testing and q/a efforts in kde?

--
Aaron J. Seigo