KDE Usability Improvements

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Apr 20 22:26:47 CEST 2005

Hi James,

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 16:53, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> > <snip>
> >
> >> But, if those developers that write code do not follow standards,
> >> what good does this most important part of the design process do --
> >>  what does it accomplish?
> >
> > Write a bug report. I am sure people will fix it, if they find the
> > time ;)
>
> Wouldn't it be better if developers followed the guidelines?

Of course.
But nobody can be forced here to anything.
E.g. I think often "this is how other apps do it, I think this is a good way,
so I'll do it this way." I don't check the styleguide very often (actually I
read it once, not much more).

You are so active, and you can help KDE so much, if you just could change your
attitude slightly. You are very welcome :-)

> Perhaps you have not had the experience of a 'Developer' responding to
> your suggestion by asking you to submit your patch.  To me, this is a
> really lame excuse.  So, now with patchs in hand, I will have to see if
> they come up with some other lame excuses. :-)

If you are part of KDE, it's not "they", it's "we".

> > I completely agree. There are tons of these small issues in KDE. But
> >  you must have the nerve to accept refusals, to argue your point, and
> >  to modify your contributions following the maintainers feedback.
>
> Perhaps you can help get this started as an organized project.

How do you mean this ?

> As I have said, I feel that developers do not do enough to encourage new
> contributors.  In fact, some of them seem to go out of their way to
> discourage new contributors.  At the same time they complain that they

Well, everybody is different, and some people sound quite rough on the mailing
list (but that's not how it is meant). I head this experience myself (must
have been 1998 or something like this), and you see, I'm still around now 7
years later.

Bye
Alex