Junior Job: Testing PDF generation

Christian Loose christian.loose at hamburg.de
Wed Apr 20 20:58:52 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 13:24, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
> (Apologies if this is a re-post.)
> Hopefully this is a task suitable for a new contributor on the Quality
> Teams: We're working on producing PDF versions of the KDE documentation,
> and need more testers. The main issue at the moment is finding out whether
> some problems are local to our systems, or general problems.
>
> Hopefully, this shouldn't require much knowledge of, well, anything :-),
> but people with knowledge of docbook, XSL, LaTeX or Perl would be very
> welcome.
>
> Instructions:
> 1. Download http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri1802/stuff/pdf-generation.tar.bz2
> 2. Untar it and read the instructions.
> 3. Generate PDFs for a bunch of different KDE docs, and look through them
> for problems, errors, etc, then report them to me or
> kde-doc-english at kde.org , along with your version of libxslt.
>
> If you're interested in helping, get back to me either on this list, or on
> IRC (irc.freenode.net, nick PhilRod).

Hi Philip,

I tried your script on debian unstable.

problems & general stuff (using KPDF and without docbook knowledge):

- pdflatex needs the file 'anysize.sty' here which is in a separate package
(tetex-extra) on debian.

- You can find the pdf for the Cervisia manual here:
http://www.christian-loose.de/snapshots/cervisia-manual.pdf

- IMHO a little more space between the normal text paragraphs would look
better.

- It might make sense to not hyphenate (hope it is the correct word) Menu
actions.

- <screen></screen> isn't as emphasised as in the HTML (e.g.
http://docs.kde.org/en/3.4/kdesdk/cervisia/importing.html#co-comment)

- page 2: [year] tags in copyright

- page 17: with really long titles, the characters overlap each other

Otherwise the result looks already very good. Thanks for the hard work!!

Christian