Why do we report bugs?

Nathan Olberding nathan.olberding at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 19:05:34 CEST 2005

I'm a little surprised by people's reactions to this. It's just a bit
remaniscent of zealots saying that Linux is better than Windows
because the things it can't do that Windows can are things you
shouldn't want to do anyway. James may have a reputation for being a
muckraker, but when he does that, he does it with a professional
attitude and only when he legitimately sees a concern. We should be
thanking him for being vigil, even if he annoys some amongst us.

Some have said that the beauty of KDE is that we're not run by the
same processes as traditional software. I agree with that, but would
add that we do have processes, work flows, etc., just like a company,
and though this is a volunteer group (for the most part!), we should
bear in mind that we're every bit as chained to our methodology as any
fortune 100 company. If our methodology is determined entirely by the
attitudes, actions and reactions of the coders, we're probably going
to slink in to oblivion sooner than necessary. Every organization
worth their weight in driftwood knows to keep their slothy side in
check (the price of freedom being eternal vigilance, and all that).
Yeah, it's the less interesting side, but it's just good practice.
It's a basic life skill, being able to identify things you could do
better. I'm sure everyone reading this message knows at least a dozen
people who arrogantly think they can do no wrong, or maybe they're in
constant denial about that, and not one of those people is truly
happy.

I don't see the problem with keeping an eye on how we function. JRT
isn't alone. Sure, his concerns aren't a big deal now, but lets see
how things are going 5 or 10 years down the road if we continue to let
our grip on reality slip... better to nip it in the bud, lest we
become another GNOME.

(Not to say GNOME is a bad project, just that they seem to have a more
boisterous, less user-friendly, more heated methodology than the KDE
project, AFAICT).

On 4/20/05, Wade Olson <wadejolson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, this email thread must be very encouraging :).
>

> On 4/20/05, Carlos Leonhard Woelz <carloswoelz at imap-mail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:58:18 -0700, "James Richard Tyrer"
> > <tyrerj at acm.org> said:
> > > We need to encourage and, even, nurture and mentor new apprentice
> > > developers.
> >
> > That's what we are doing here.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Carlos Woelz