Visual Guide to Widgets

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun Sep 19 15:30:02 CEST 2004

On Saturday 18 September 2004 18:13, Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Thursday 16 September 2004 15:57, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > Correct:	Combo box
> > Incorrect:	Drop-down list
> > 	  	    Drop-down box
>
> FYI, GNOME HIG 2.0 dropped "combo box" usage and calls it now "drop-down
> combination boxes" which I think is ugly and too bulky.

I find this whole "combo"/"combination" part of little value, it conveys very
little meaning. I would suggest "drop-down box" as it catches the most
important property of the widget, the drop down part. I think "box" is better
than "list" because as long as it hasn't dropped down, it looks like a box
and not as a list. So I think you get a better success rate if you ask people
to identify the "drop-down boxes" on the screen as opposed to the "drop-down
lists". Would be a good candidate for a field test with actual humans.

It's also quite close to the GNOME terminology.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org  |  Wanted: Talented KDE developer  |  bastian at suse.com