"In" versus "On" was Visual Guide to Widgets

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 17 09:40:53 CEST 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 03:32 am, Gerry Gavigan wrote:
> "The clock is on the shelf and the clock is on the car dashboard - the
> former is moveable the later is not but they are both "On"

The funny thing is that I would say that the clock is in the car dashboard
since (at least with my car), the clock is recessed into the dashboard.  I
think English as a whole badly needs a cleanup. =D

Carlos, I would just use whatever you want to be honest, since something as
screwy as the direction that light hits a GUI element can determine whether
it is "in" or "on" a toolbar. ;-)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne