Visual Guide to Widgets

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 17 06:59:16 CEST 2004

On Thursday 16 September 2004 10:34 am, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Even more generally I have great trouble with the prepositions 'in' and
> 'on'. For example do you have buttons in the toolbar or on it?
> But this is a non-English-speaker problem...

Both can be valid as I understand it.  If the toolbar is understood to be a
container, you would use "in".  (The ball is in the box)

But if you think of the toolbar as a sort of table that happens to have some
buttons on top, you would use "on".  (The cup is on the table)

I myself would always use "in" for this particular situation, but I can see it
going either way.  Don't you love English! ;-)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne