QWhatsThis help

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Sep 1 20:55:58 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 19:21, Christopher Layne wrote:

> One problem with this is that

Why is everybody always looking for "problems" at first? Why not
watching out for opportunities? For chances to improve?

> any user who is actively looking
> for the What's This? mini-popup will probably be the last type
> of user to be able to submit an explanation on it.

1 of the few things I actually noticed from the ongoing work at
aKademy was the great idea of mornfall and its first implementation.
(I am glad jriddell did so many detailled writeups -- next weekend
I will take the time and read as many as possible so that I finally
learn about what happened at aKademy.)

It is obvious that this was/is not yet the final version. It is
obvious, that we dont want to confuse the avarage or newbie user
with such a popup dialog if he innocently clicks a WhatsThis with
no content.

But it shold be enabled in beta releases and CVS HEAD by default.
And there should be an option to switch it on in final releases
too -- possibly by an entry in kdebugdialog.

> I don't think it's a bad idea, just that the target is usually
> the one who really doesn't know What This Is.

The target is everyone who'd like to help and contribute to get the
WhatsThis items complete.

Like me.

I have done some work regarding WhatsThis for kprinter, but at one
point did hit a wall, when I couldnt figure out the spot in the code
that was right to get one missing WhatsThis included.

mornfall's idea is great. If it can be extended to include some
additional info (class name, widget name or some such) to easily
locate the place where it should go in the code, we are half done.