wanna help writing kde development docs ?

Raphael Langerhorst raphael-langerhorst at gmx.at
Sat Oct 30 19:17:01 CEST 2004

On Thursday 28 October 2004 19:10, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> KDE is in need of good development docs.
> There is a lot of docs on developer.kde.org, but there are also
> topics which are mainly documented in the source and the authors
> mind.
>
> So, wanna help writing a KDE development doc ? Might become even
> book-like :-) Find a topic, find the developers, "press" the
> information out of them, put it into words :-)
>
> Who wants ?
>
> Bye
> Alex

Hi Alex,

I wanted to start writing a development handbook for KOffice
development, giving an overview of the KOffice libraries, explaining
how they work and how to use them. Then I wanted to include as much
of the apps themselves as possible although I don't know much about
most of them. KOffice is actually a big chunk of software. The
intention was to help new devs to get easier into KOffice development
- as KOffice still suffers from lack of developers. Maybe I could
give you a hand with KOffice related stuff (although I'm certainly
NOT the most knowledgable person in respect to KOffice!!).

Apart from this I think KDE 4 is coming some day (current schedule is
summer 2005 as far as I know) so an idea would be to wait with things
that will change in Qt4 and KDE4 until they are in shape. Until then
general chapters can be written (I guess there are enough anyway). I
would very much like to see a KDE Development book like there was for
KDE 2 (which is still accurate and up-to-date in many aspects but it
_is_ getting old and does not include newer KDE technologies).

Also I would suggest you to check out the kde-doc-english mailing list
with this, that's where you find most of the doc-writers (I cc'd this
email to the doc-list).

Good luck! It's definitely worth the effort and MANY developers will
be grateful for such a complete book on KDE development that covers
all important aspects.

Regards,
Raphael

--