QA proposal for bugs

Ramon van Alteren ramon at forgottenland.net
Mon Mar 15 21:34:35 CET 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 11:25, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Matt Rogers wrote:
> > The biggest help anyone in the quality team could do at the moment with
> > regard to bugs is to take an app in bugzilla, go through all the bugs,
> > using the wiki page at
> > http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=Bug+Triage as a guide.
>
> Yes, we need that as well.  I have done some of that in the past and I
> guess I should try to start again -- do my quota every week.

This is exactly the problem I have with your proposal.
KDE is mostly a volunteer project.
I do this for fun, I try to improve documentation, report bugs, test stuff
when I have some spare time, because I enjoy doing it and because I enjoy
returning some of my time and effort to the community that made KDE possible.

Anything which will require me to "do my quota every week" will take exactly
that out of contributing to KDE.

The main cause of this discussion, an overflowing bug database with an massive
amount of bugs in it, is actually IMHO one of the stronger assets of open
source in general.

There are evidently a lot of people who care about KDE and enjoy contributing
to it. They file bug reports about the problems they find in the software so
anyone feeling up to it can use that information to improve the code.

I've read your proposal carefully and I do not think that it is a good
proposal because it is way too formal and rigid.
My impression is that it will actually raise the entry-level for people who
want to contribute to KDE.

Kde-quality project was not started to provide KDE with QA, it was started
because Carlos felt that the entry-level to contribute something to KDE was
getting too high and wanted to provide people with a place to gather
information on how to start and help each other while doing this.

There already is a small howto on how to handle bugs after they have been
reported on the kde-quality home page. Maybe a link to the page in the wiki
would be a good idea (http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=Bug+Triage)

I think they are both adequate. I don't think the problem with following up on
bugs is in the process of doing that. I think the problem is that there are
not enough people for the amount of bugs reported.

I would like to help amend that instead of discussing QA procedures :)

Just 2 cents,
--
Ramon

ramon at forgottenland.net