When to set VERIFIED in BugZilla?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Mar 11 21:00:06 CET 2004

Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> JRT,
>
> No need to be argumentative here.
>
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:39:53 -0700, "James Richard Tyrer"
> <tyrerj at acm.org> said:
>
>> Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

>>> I think there are more rewarding
>>
>> What rewards a person differs among people.
>>

>>> and more useful things to do than setting up a formal quality
>>> assurance process for KDE.
>>
>> Users would disagree.  The most important task for KDE is to
>> effectively deal with the mountain of bugs.  There are several aspects
>>  of this, but for the current ones, some sort of *informal* Quality
>> Assurance process is clearly needed.  For the obsolete ones, they
>> simply need to be CLOSED. This leaves a lot of old ones that need to
>> have something else done with them -- some need to be updated.  And I
>> am certain that there are many that will fall into the category of
>> 'other'.
>

> This rant is totally unecessary: Cornelius is just stating that a
> *formal* QA is unecessary.

I guess that it depends on what he meant by formal.  If
formal==(bureaucratic and centralized) then I agree with him.  But, that
isn't what I take "formal" to mean.  We should have a document describing
the procedure -- to me, this is formal.

> See this thread and documents for what a formal QA requires:
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=107480372200001&r=1&w=2

"This is way too formal for KDE, I guess".  That pretty much says it.

>>> Considering the argument "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are
>>> shallow", one could even take the position that there is actually no
>>>  need for a quality assurance process.
>>
>> Since there are not "enough eyeballs" this would be a wrong
>> assumption. Specifically, one of the aims of a distributed Quality
>> Assurance process is to get more "eyeballs" and to get them properly
>> focused -- good organization can (to some degree) compensate for a
>> lack of numbers.
>

> We have a distributed QA now: bugzilla.

No, there is no QA with BugZilla as KDE uses it.

> If you have a proposition to improve it, then formulate it. And please
> concentrate your ideas in one e-mail. There is no need to answer all of
> them.

I should apologize for working the way I learned in Engineering college.
First you have a discussion, then you submit a proposal based in part on
what you learned in the discussion.  I don't sit in a locked room and
decide how to do things without input from colleagues.

However, I will do that and hope that I'm not tersely told that I am wrong.

--
JRT