K-ARTIST: SVG Icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Mar 10 23:31:59 CET 2004

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2004 00:10, you wrote:
>
>>Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

>>>               ^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>>I've seen this a few places on the mailing list, so I would like to point
>>>out that mime-mime_* names are obsoleted. In this case the
>>>mime-mime_empty icon is ignored by KDE 3.2, which only uses mime-empty.
>>
>>Shouldn't that be: "mime_empty"?
>>
>>Icons names currently are not supposed to use: "-".
>>

> The icon name (in mime context) was "mime_empty" and is now just "empty".
>
> Since icons are separeted in different folders and contexts, the additional
> prefix is now useless. Deprecating the mime-mime_ names means we can reduce
> duplicate icons, and since KDE 3.2, they havent been referenced anywhere by
> KDE (unless I overlooked something).

Yes, you most certainly have overlooked something: *backward compatibility*
-- by doing so you have introduced a bug into KDE.

It is now my understanding that the name of the icon for this MIME type has
been changed (in the relevant 'desktop' files and in the code) from:
"mime_empty" to: "empty".  How did you think that the names of the icon
files would get changed?

Specifically, there are no icons named: "empty" here:

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/kdeclassic/16x16/mimetypes/
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/kdeclassic/22x22/mimetypes/
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/kdeclassic/32x32/mimetypes/
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/kdeclassic/48x48/mimetypes/
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/kdeclassic/64x64/mimetypes/

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/Locolor/16x16/mimetypes/
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/Locolor/32x32/mimetypes/

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/ikons/48x48/mimetypes/

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/slick/16x16/mimetypes/
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/slick/32x32/mimetypes/
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/slick/48x48/mimetypes/
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdeartwork/IconThemes/slick/64x64/mimetypes/

IIUC, it is not only: "mime_empty" that is being changed but all icons
names that start with: "mime_".  So there are quite a few icons to rename.
  Not just in the directories listed above, but also in additional icon
themes that a user might install.  The solution to this would appear to be
a script which adds links to a users installation to fix the problem.

I also point out that there were problems in Crystal as well, but these
appear to have been fixed recently.

So, I will change the name in my tarball, and I leave it to you to see that
the icon files: "mime_empty.png" in the directories listed above get renamed.

--
JRT