Helping with Documentation

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at christ-church.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 11:34:10 CET 2004

Hi,
I'm on the KDE Documentation Team, and Carlos has asked if we can provide some
ideas for people on this list who would like to help with writing
documentation.

Our main focus at the moment is collecting a comprehensive list of things
which need to be done. We're using Bugzilla for this, and filing bugs under
product 'docs.' In that product we have four components (five actually, but
the fifth is not really relevant to QT work): Corrections, Missing Content,
Screenshots, and general. The first three are self-explanatory, and the last
one is for anything that doesn't fit in the first three. You can see all of
the bugs in the 'docs' product at:
http://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?product=docs&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bugidtype=include&order=Bug+Number&cmdtype=doit
(hopefully...)

There are two main tasks to be done in Bugzilla: The first is to submit new
problems. This will involve reading the existing documentation for an
application and checking that it describes the application correctly. You'll
also have to look at all the features of the application to see if they're
described in the documentation. If any of these don't match up, submit a bug.
Please submit one bug per problem, rather than one bug per application.

The second thing to do is to fix the bugs :-). For 'Missing Content' bugs, you
can write the content in either plain text or DocBook. Please, please don't
feel any guilt about not knowing DocBook - we can easily add the necessary
markup if the content is there. For 'Corrections' bugs, it is more useful to
edit the DocBook source, especially for typos. We're currently thinking about
the best way to submit patches, but for now, you can send them to
kde-doc-english at kde.org.

If none of those interest you, there are plenty of other things which can be
done in the documentation. Do you know the solution to a common problem (say,
one that is frequently asked on the mailing lists/IRC channels)? If so, send
us a writeup of the problem and its solution. Have you found a neat way of
doing something with KDE? A 'howto' document would be welcome.

If that still doesn't take your fancy, email kde-doc-english at kde.org and we'll
try to find something for you :-).

I look forward to working with you in the future,
Philip