KDE Quality action: looking to the future

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Wed Jul 14 23:23:35 CEST 2004

Carlos,

Thanks for taking the time to respond in this way, I've read it carefully and
I agree to most things, on some points I now better understand the work of
the quality team.

I do have some remarks:

Op woensdag 14 juli 2004 20:43, schreef Carlos Leonhard Woelz:
> This list is to support new contributors, to inform people about tasks
> open, and to coordinate the work, not to take the place of the other
> mailing lists. I don't expect this list to be a high traffic list. We
> are fortunate enough to have very experienced KDE developers on this
> list. I believe the list can answer most KDE technical questions.

I think I agree to the other post that this list should not be a support list,
so incidental compile problems do not fit in so well. I was rather confused
when I subscribed to this list and saw those postings.

But what I still do not completely understand is that you want to be a
starting point for new contributors and on the other hand want to be
'emergency-rescue-team', which requires an other level of knowledge I think,
at least I guess here lies a challenge to do this.

> Helping out one application is like opening the doors to a small new
> world :) To write the docs and whatsthis for KPilot, I had to learn
> about the Palm OS databases and application formats, Palm DOC, the Palm
> usage patterns (I had to buy a Pilot, I wasn't even a user), conduits,
> etc. I tested most of KPilot's functionality just to understand it, I
> checked gnome-pilot and JPilot to get a feel of what similar apps are
> doing. To help Cervisia, I had to read a lot of CVS documentation, etc.

I tried to translate the old kpilot docs which I couldn't. I did take a quick
look a while a ago and saw it improve. Nice work. Lets not forget that the
translation teams also could benefit, because they can better judge which
documentation should have which priority.

> However, you are correct in the main argument: the quality team is a
> 'emergency-rescue-team', but one application at a time. The idea is to
> find the loose ends and tie them. Docs and whatsthis are missing? Let's
> create it. Bug management is needed? Let's do it.  New artwork is
> required, let's create it, or at least find interested people to do it.

Ok. Sounds good. I'm translating the docs to dutch, when finished (so don't
work to hard ;-)) I hope to help out with some tasks, so it would be nice to
have a bit more traffic on this list about what's going on...

Thanks again,

Tom Albers
kde.nl