[OT] Re: firewall with user interaction/netlink support

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Mon Dec 6 13:29:21 CET 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 12:58, Onno Timmerman wrote:
> Dik Takken wrote:
> >>
> >> Ahum, spyware is not impossible on linux at all. Spyware can find its
> >> way into
> >> your system using social engineering techniques, rather than security
> >> holes.
> >> Such an app would be a user friendly tool to discover those.
> >
> > Of course you can create Linux spyware, but I guess the amount of
> > Linux/KDE users suffering from spyware (or paranoia) is quite low.
>
> Not only that, because the source is open people can check it for spy-ware

All true. However, it will be trivial to supply binary packages that contain
the spy-ware. Anyway, I was reacting to the "I use linux, so nothing can
happen to me" attitude, it's true for home users in practice, but it also
creates a false sense of security. After all, it is possible to create
spyware for linux. And honestly, did you check your system for spyware or do
you just assume it is not there?

best,
Jeroen
--