firewall with user interaction/netlink support

Stefan Strasser sstrasser at systemhaus-gruppe.de
Mon Dec 6 11:11:28 CET 2004

I hope I'm posting this to the right newsgroup.

I wonder if there's any interest in implementing a kde application which
uses the netfilter support for user interaction, a "personal firewall"
for which you don't have to neccessarily set up rules but you are asked
when an application is trying to access the net.
this especially enables you to allow access for one applcation(e.g.
firefox) but disallow for another(e.g. a proprietary application trying
to call home), which isn't that easy with normal netfilter rules(only
way I can think of is introducing a unix group which is allowed to
access the net. which causes problems for some applications).
have a look at sygate personal firewall for windows to see what I mean.

so, I don't have time to learn kde/qt gui programming but I could do the
network/daemon stuff.
maybe it's best to add this feature to an existing firewall app like
knetfilter so you can combine rules with user interaction.
(unfortunately I couldn't look at knetfilter since it claims my
kernel(2.6.8) doesn't support netfilter but it does)

send me an email if you're interested in that kind of application, even
if you don't have the time or knowledge to help implementing it.

--
Stefan Strasser