KHotkeys, Keyboard Shortcuts and KDE menu editor. Incompatible?

Henrik Edberg henrik.edberg at bahnhof.se
Tue Aug 3 14:49:37 CEST 2004

Imho these three applications does not work very well together.

I'm not to used to KDE and KHotkeys, or at least I wasn't untill I
started having problems with them. Because I wasn't used to them, when
my FireFox shortcut stoped working after an apt-update (I don't know
what actually changed) I managed to add Win-M as a keyboard shortcut for
FireFox about nine time using the KDE menu editor, but it still wouldn't
work as it did before.

The problem was that these three applications seems to have a sparate
view of which shortcuts are available and which are already taken. After
finally finding the KHotkeys application (that displays a big warning
sign when started, which had, up untill then, kept me away) I found
these nine keyboard shortcuts I had added by misstake and also a set of
keyboard shortcuts from the Keyboard Shortcuts application.

After deleting all shortcuts and restoring just one copy of each
everything was back to normal. A bit messy just to get some shortcuts
working, dont' you think?

I don't understand how this could happend. Doesn't all these three
applications read the same file/files, the file that keeps track of what
shortcuts does what? If they don't, why not? :)

Update anomalys anyone?

/ Henrik Edberg