URL from that designer

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Apr 26 05:23:28 CEST 2004

Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/designs/the-control-panel/index.html
>
> You may be referring to that, in which case I'm the designer. I haven't
>  updated that in a while, although I have done some work on designs,
> mostly because people said there wasn't going to be any work done on
> KControl until after 3.3 was released. If you're planning on working on
>  the control center,

You have done a lot of very good work.  Even if ultimately other design
decisions are made in some cases, your work has clearly defined the issues.

> I'd love to help with the design aspects, although I'm not worth
> anything on the programming end.

I, as an engineer, know that with something like the Control Center that
the design work is at least half of the work.

Unfortunately, many developers simply refuse to understand this -- they
seem to think that the code is everything.  They are wrong.

I think that this is probably a good example of the importance of design work.

In general, the question of how to best use all of the design discussion
from this list needs to be addressed.  Perhaps this issue (Control Center)
is the best place to start since it should be obvious that the UI design is
a much bigger project than the changes in the code to implement it.

I think that it is the Quality Team that needs to work on this, so I
suggest that people with ideas of how to bridge the gap between design and
implementation should make their proposals on: <kde-quality.kde.org>

--
JRT