[kde-linux] KDE 3.2.1 after konstruct

Parijat Mishra parijat at i2r.a-star.edu.sg
Thu Apr 22 10:56:03 CEST 2004

Funny that this came up.

Last night I had a dream.... I dreamt about writing documentation.  When one
does that, often one is not so clear about the target audience, or perhaps
the target audience range is wide.  E.g., when instructing people to compile
a source package, is it enough to give the command-line instructions? What
about telling the user to open a terminal first?  Or heck -- perhaps the user
needs a tutorial on basic commands like ls, mkdir, and cd.  The information
is out there, but who is going to tell the user what sequence of documents to
read?

I thought that if there could be ways of dividing user-experience into
"layers", one could decide which "layer" one's documentation targets, write
one's docs, and provide links to the more basic "layers".

E.g.: Now I could write a compile-from-source guide.  In the doc, I would give
listings of the commands and concise exmplanations.  Somewhere in the
desciption, there would be a link like: "Click here for a tutorial about
basic commands".  Perhaps another link saying: "Starting the terminal HOWTO".

This is one way to organize it.

The problem is: it needs to be co-ordinated or the "higher layer" docs to not
have a consistent list of "lower layer" docs to link to, and neither is the
separation very clear at the moment.

On Thursday 22 April 2004 12:43, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> I agree that a tutorial should be a +, on the other
> hand installing from .rpm's is probably already beyond
> the capabilities of most newbies and casual users.

[snip]
--
Sincerely,
Parijat Mishra