Engineering I.E. Quality

Christian Loose christian.loose at hamburg.de
Wed Apr 7 23:44:34 CEST 2004

Am Mittwoch, 7. April 2004 23:08 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
[snip -> software engineering]

> With this attitude prevalent among developers, it is going to be us against
> them, and I don't want any more of that.

Hi,

I think you are forgetting a few thinks:

1. not all of us have a computer science degree
2. some of us aren't even trained software developers
3. some of us just started to program in C++
4. most of us do this in our free-time. So you could try to convince people
that drawing an UML diagram before starting to program is fun and fruitful,
but telling people that they have an attitude is offensive. Especially on
this mailing-list where many new contributers are listening and might be
scared away by this kind of talking.
5. your bridge metaphor is flawed. You design the bridge before building it
because a mistake is catastrophic because of possible lost of human lives and
for monetary reasons. Our programming time just costs our free-time but no
money or lives. So throwing away our code because of a bad design is annoying
but not prohibitive unlike e.g. in commercial companies.

Christian