Regarding: Open letter to the German Rectors' Conference (HRK) on the use of social media

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Fri Jan 26 18:38:31 GMT 2024

On Wednesday, 24 January 2024 14:16:06 CET Stefan Rödiger [BTU] wrote:
> Nachricht/Message in/in Deutsch/English
>
> Dear KDE Promo Team,
>
> We (https://bewegung.social/@neuSoM[1]) launched an online petition a few
> days ago, with which we are trying to get more users into the Fediverse.
> Strictly speaking, we want to convince the German Rectors' Conference that
> it is particularly important for universities not to be represented on
> closed platforms such as X, but rather to support decentralised platforms
> that are promoting democratic and open communication. Therefore, we have
> launched the petition, which can be viewed under the following link.
>
> https://www.openpetition.de/petition/online/open-letter-to-the-german-rector
> s-conference-hrk-on-the-use--of-social-media?language-en-GB.utf8
>
> Since we ourselves are enthusiasts of open source software and are also
> involved in related projects of KDE software (in my case RKWard), we wanted
> to ask if KDE could support us with its large reach.
>
> We promote our campaign in the Fediverse with the hashtag #unisinsfediverse.
> Some posts can be found under the handle @neuSoM at bewegung.social.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Mt kind regards,
>
> Stefan Rödiger on behalf of all participants in the petition.

Hello Stefan,

I think this would be okay, yeah. We are staunch supporters of open social
media platforms in general, and the Fediverse in particular. We often remind/
coax people who follow us on proprietary platforms to change over to free
ones.

We will check the links you have sent us and check with the team in charge of
social media.

Will let you know shortly.

Cheers

Paul