GCompris project - raw video

Frances Tait frances.tait at kdab.com
Thu Jul 21 12:25:21 BST 2022

Hi Paul et al,

I hope you’re all enjoying the summer and not suffering too much from excessive heat.

You should be able to access the video interview we made with Bruno, edited down, and with an intro from Robert, here:

https://nextcloud.kdab.com/s/9fbSKN9rWztsiEa <https://nextcloud.kdab.com/s/9fbSKN9rWztsiEa>

It’s currently getting worked on for sound improvement by one of KDAB’s providers, who may also help us improve it in other visual ways.

We like the content a lot, but would of course want your feedback before releasing it - current deadline is late September.

Below is my suggested "About this video" text - written to more-or-less match the way KDAB videos are described on our youtube channel <https://www.youtube.com/c/KDABtv/playlists>, (it’ll go int our new 'Insights' playlist there).
Let me know if I got anything wrong here :-)

All the best,

Frances

Video Description
In this video for our 'Insights' series, we talk to Bruno Coudoin, the creator and founder of GCompris software, about what inspired him and how GCompris became so successful.

About GCompris
GCompris is a free and open source, high quality, educational software suite for kids aged 2 – 10, that’s built with Qt.
It was originally written in C and Python using the GTK+ widget toolkit, but a rewrite in C++ and QML using the Qt widget toolkit was initiated by Bruno Coudoin in 2014.

GCompris is used as a teaching aid worldwide. It is available in more than 50 languages and has global users estimated to be in the millions. With its multiple datasets, GCompris Activities can be adjusted to fit student’s learning needs, and fitted into their existing lesson plans, individually or in groups.

Aside from its benefit as an addition to any teaching curriculum, GCompris is proven to be especially helpful for children with learning difficulties or neurological differences. Its content is less violent, quieter, and free from distractions like pop-ups or advertisements. https://gcompris.net/index-en.html

These days, GCompris is a project under the umbrella of KDE, a long-term partner of KDAB.

About KDE
KDE is an international team supporting the cooperative development and distribution of Free, Open Source Software for desktop and portable computing: https://kde.org/

About KDAB
KDAB offers experienced software experts to help you deliver functional, high-performing and innovative software across embedded, mobile and desktop platforms for projects using C++, Qt, QML/Qt Quick, OpenGL, Qt 3D and more:  https://www.kdab.com/software-services. [OR kdabgroup.com?]

Keep in touch with KDAB developments by signing up for our monthly newsletter featuring news and technical blogs on Qt, C++ and 3D topics: https://www.kdab.com/development-resources/sign-up-for-our-newsletter/

Other Links
GCompris Contributor’s site wiki: https://gcompris.net/wiki/New_contributor
Patreon donation site for GCompris: https://gcompris.net/donate-en.html
GTK: https://www.gtk.org/
Gnome: https://www.gnome.org/get-involved/
Python: https://www.python.org/
Google Summer of Code: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

----

Frances Tait | frances.tait at kdab.com | Marketing and Partner relations
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)
KDAB - The Qt, OpenGL and C++ Experts

www.kdab.com <https://www.kdab.com/>
Twitter:  @KDABQt