Education for Kids

Frances Tait frances.tait at kdab.com
Mon Sep 6 17:09:57 BST 2021

Hi again, Timothée, Aish (I hope it’s OK if I call you that!) Paul and Emmanuel, also Robert, as we can’t do it without you :-),

This is our rough Plan for how to go forward. It entails 3 or 4 short videos, 5 - 10 minutes long, introduced by KDAB.
Our first step would be to have a joint Zoom call to discuss and refine the ideas below (I know you hate Zoom but it’s just for the planning - happy to use something else if there’s technical reasons it won’t work for you). See end of this mail for suggested dates and time.

Rough Plan 1 <start>
Video 1. An Intro and Overview of GCompris, where it’s in use, what inspired it, both in the education approach and the software development - why Qt?  This would also include mention of KDE’s involvement in all this.

Possible participants: Robert, Paul, Bruno and Tim with help from Emmanuel on the intro that Robert will give.

Video 2. Development of the educational concepts, some examples of classroom application, perhaps Emmanuel and Aish talking about their experiences developing the teaching material and in the classroom. Development of the software, challenges along the way, including mention of the graphics, maintaining it. Plans for the future.

Possible participants: Robert, Aish, Emmanuel, Tim and Bruno (can also use clips from the recorded material not used in Video 1).  Possibly also the principal maintainer, Johnny Jazeix, though perhaps we can just be sure to mention him.

Video 3: Q & A from the first two (we’ll invite people to ask questions). No plan yet - maybe we have to extend 1 and 2 into 3 and make the Q&A be Video 4 if we get a lot of material. Q&A could be recorded a few weeks/months later, after we collect questions. The idea is "you" answer them :-)

Ideas of how we film/record these.
1. We’ll turn the above descriptions (of Video 1 and Video 2) into a few trigger questions and let people speak freely in probably two BBB calls, then edit it afterwards. (It’s OK if parts of it are in French).
2. If it’s not [possible to get people together, we can home in on more precise questions and record individual answers independently, depending on practical issues around recording. Ideally we’d like at least Bruno and Tim to discuss the software development together (for Video 1) and Aish and Emmanuel to discuss the educational benefits and challenges together (for  Video 2).
3. We are assuming BBB can output raw footage of high quality that we can then work with.

Rough Plan 1 <end>

@Tim: If you would like to approach Bruno and ask him if he’d be willing to participate, that would be great! I expect we’d start recording this some time late September, early October if that suits him.

Kick-off meeting - Suggested dates
Wednesday September 8th at 18:30 CEST or Friday September 10th at 18:30 CEST. Please let me know if you can make either of those and I’ll send an invite if there’s one that suits us all. After that it will have to be week 38 as I’m away all of week 37.

Looking forward to meeting you guys :-)

All the best,

Frances

----