Education for Kids

Emmanuel Charruau echarruau at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 20:12:37 BST 2021

Hi Frances,

if you are looking to follow the trail from creation of the software I
would recommend you to  interview Bruno Coudoin.
He created and developed GCompris during at least 16 years. Took
nearly all the architectural decisions which makes its code very easy
to maintain and more important for you the choice of QT.
The QT choice is explained here in french:
https://linuxfr.org/news/gcompris-change-de-moteur

If you have a french speaking person in your team this video will be
interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4CHi17M88Q&t=328s

You should also not forget Johnny Jazeix who is doing most of the
maintenance outside graphics and compilation which is also done by
Timothée. Timothée outside the graphics creates all the time many
activities.

Tim will be able to show you that GCompris is downloaded 500 000 times
a year (outside Linux) and that we have about 4 million pupils only
with Kerala.

We could speak about what is for me the major improvement to adapt
GCompris to usage in school. We took two years to add multiple dataset
functionality to GCompris.
This means that for about 50 activities
https://phabricator.kde.org/T12428
we added the possibility for the user (or his teacher) to choose the
level of difficulty. This way teachers can integrate GCompris to their
working plan as a tool to improve pupils skills step by step.
https://dot.kde.org/2020/11/19/educational-software-gcompris-20-years-old-today
The level of difficulty follows the official french school program.

Multipledataset is also a major architecture improvement that allows
in the future to have a server sending customised dataset adapted to a
class group.

We could say that we celebrated not so long ago our 20 years anniversary.

We could speak about the importance of GSoC in term of contribution,
but also the turn over.

Last point is that we are working with Wikitolearn (an other great kde
project) to have a contributive platform in many languages to show
teachers how they can use GCompris.
The platform is in its very early stage, the basic architecture is
extracted from GCompris code (we will always be up to date) and the
fine explanations will be we hope created by teachers/users.
https://en.wikitolearn.org/User:Allon/GCompris_Cookbook

Tim is the best person to introduce Bruno as they know each other personally.

Regards,

Emmanuel

(with reference to Qt, we hope, and KDE)