The difficulties we are having with PeerTube

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Wed Feb 3 11:36:18 GMT 2021

On miércoles, 3 de febrero de 2021 10:47:07 (CET) Ben Cooksley wrote:

> > > Has this federation been proven to work reliably and be effective?
> >
> > Yeah. The stuff we posted on the instance we picked (the one that went
> > away),
> > was reliably available through other instances in minutes. Overall, the
> > p2p
> > sharing thing seems to work really well on PeerTube.
> >
> > > This may seem like an unusual question, but given how much trouble
> > > Matrix
> > > causes I do have to ask.
> >
> > Ah! I was not aware. I do not venture much out of our the Promo channel,
> > to be
> > honest.

> > the

> > >Bandwidth isn't an issue, the CDN is provided by CDN77 - who have quite a
> > >
> > > bit of bandwidth at their disposal.
> > >
> > > Failing that we can always leverage download.kde.org or files.kde.org
> > > (which are both guaranteed to be HTTPS) which also have quite a bit of
> > > bandwidth too.
> >
> > Yeah. I imagined this would be an advantage that wouldn't help us much.

> > leaving

> > videos.
> >
> > > Has the Mastodon universe reached the critical mass where these benefits
> > > are tangible?
> >
> > The last I read Mastodon was rapidly growing. It is working for us too, as
> > we
> > are approaching 6000 followers, some of which are not bots! 😜 Seriously
> > though, most of them aren't, and we add slightly over a 100 followers a
> > month.
>
> Having looked through the documentation, operating a PeerTube instance
> doesn't seem too bad, although we would definitely want to make use of a
> CDN of course.
>
> Would it be possible for Promo to continue to assess our options in this
> space until Sysadmin has completed the work on Gitlab CI, at which point we
> could consider our options around hosting our own instance if needed?

Of course. The reason for proposing several options was precisely to avoid
having to commit to one that would negatively affect someone else (i.e. making
sysadmin to manage yet another service).

We will continue to explore the alternatives, and, if by the time you folks
finish the GitLab CI task, we have not found any of them to be satisfactory, we
can pick this up again.

Thanks for your insight Ben.

Cheers

Paul