Printeradmin in KDE3 / KDE4

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Thu Feb 3 12:47:57 CET 2011

On February 3, 2011 03:36:42 Becker, Ronny wrote:
> Hello,
> we used now for several years the absolutely great printermanagement
> shipped with KDE3. With this tool we manage several Queues/Classes and
> printers with a lot of pages x000 every day.
>
> Now, we wanted to upgrade the spooler system and found that this great
> tool got lost to KDE4. Why?? The printermanagement in KDE4 is currently
> not as half as good the old one was and there is no alternative to it.
> Is there any reason for that? Is the project that gave us this really
> great tool dead now?

I hate to give this answer, but yes, for all intents and purposes, the work on
the previous printing management library is now halted.

This does not mean that there won't be a come back someday, but right now
there are no plans for this.

The development of printing support was relegated to the Qt library
developers, who did an excellent work for the printer client part.

Printer management part is left for support to the different Linux
distributions (or other underlying operating systems). A good example (the one
that I know well) is the OpenSUSE printer management. But many other Linux
distributions offer comparable tools.

Thank you for your interest.

--
Cristian Tibirna