accessing a remote CUPS server

Wolfgang Jeltsch fmp0d6sw at acme.softbase.org
Wed Sep 16 16:32:45 CEST 2009

Am Mittwoch, 16. September 2009 16:03:50 schrieben Sie:
> > And how do I have to configure my local CUPS server to mirror the
> > printers of a remote CUPS server? Sorry, but I couldn’t find anything in
> > this direction, neither on http://localhost:631 nor via Google. Note that
> > I want to mirror all printers of the remote CUPS server automatically,
> > not add selected printers by hand.
>
> I think you need to set in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (on the local server)
>
> Browsing On
>
> (and possibly
> BrowseOrder allow,deny
> BrowseAllow [localhost|all|whatever]
> DefaultAuthType [Basic|whatever]
>
> google to see what they do!)

I’ve read a bit about browsing in the CUPS documentation now. It seems that
the remote server has to mention my local host explictely in its configuration
file if my local host shall receive printer information from the remote host.
So I would have to ask the admin of our department to include my laptop in the
list of recipients of browsing information. I don’t think he will want to do
that. :-(

Best wishes,
Wolfgang