accessing a remote CUPS server

Wolfgang Jeltsch fmp0d6sw at acme.softbase.org
Mon Sep 14 17:32:49 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 14. September 2009 17:06:24 schrieb Ekkard Gerlach:
> * Wolfgang Jeltsch schrieb:
>
> [...]
>
> > of the CUPS server. All I want to do is to fetch the list of printers
> > from the server, and send jobs to arbitrary printers via the server.

Hello Ekkard,

thank you for the tips.

> 1. insert the ipp:// -queues of the server to your /etc/cups/printers.conf.
>    It's ONE cp-command.

What cp command?

Copying will destroy the complete old printers.conf file. Is this desired?

Where do I find the printers.conf file I should copy over
/etc/cups/printers.conf?

> 2. copy all ppd-Files of the Server /etc/cups/ppd/* to your PC.
>    It's one cp-command.

This requires shell access to the CUPS server, doesn’t it? I don’t think I can
log into our departments CUPS server. :-(

> Where is the problem? Its not much work.

The problem is redundancy. If the admin changes the printer configuration, I
have an outdated config on my client.

I get more and more the impression that accessing a remote CUPS server with
KDE 4 is just not possible. Otherwise, I cannot really explain why noone on
this list seems to know the answer to my question.

Not being able to use remote CUPS servers would be a very serious regression
from KDE 3.5 which doesn’t make any sense to me. CUPS uses a client-server
architecture. What is the point of a client-server architecture if the only
server you can access is localhost?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang