Fwd: [Okular-devel] SoC Ideas => proposal : Okular arranger for printing

Jonathan-David SCHRODER myselfhimself at free.fr
Sun Apr 6 23:05:13 CEST 2008

Hi ok,
well John Layt is subscribed to this mailing list and will see this e-mail.
I've just had a look at :
http://www.layt.net/john/blog/odysseus/easter_progress_on_printng
with the new Qt 4.4 print dialog
thinking a little now...
to be able to rearrange files from different sources before printing (this a
quick summary sentence of what I've detailed below) one should have two
"apps" :
1 - a printing server/ a fake printer (the same way as PDF creator on
windows maybe) to choose from in the printers rollout list. Every time
printing is done towards this server, a popup dialog could ask : "Would like
to start arranging files now ?" Yes-No

If yes, the following would be run

2 - a gui application, that uses the graphical database of jobs sent to the
fake printer, and allows to rearrange all the stuff and print the result new
job directly to a real printer.

what I would like to do here in the end is to have something similar to MS
windows's photo printing wizard :
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb924348.PPW_XP(en-us,VS.85).png ,
but much improved with the ability to : make something stand on more than
one page, or to repeat something several times one page, the ability to
change the order of jobs.. remove pages...

The "app 2-" could be run from within dolphi/konqueror on one or more
selected files, as long as those format have a " printable property" (ex :
.odt, .png .svg ...).

So what kind of a name this project could take... KPageArranger ?
As I'm thinking now, someone talked about

looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDELibs I don't think that such a
project should be part of the kdelibs except maybe for the fake printer
daemon.

should I submit this as summer of code ?
I'm ok to wait until tomorrow night to submit the application.

Jonathan