KDE, CUPS and prettyprint

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Sep 24 14:26:17 CEST 2007

Udo Klein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using KDE 3.5.5 and CUPS 1.2.7.
>
> I'd like to print the name of a file and the date on each thing that I
> print, but the CUPS option "-o prettyprint" does not work.
>
> 1. Does anybody know why?
> 2. Is there another way of achieving my aim?

Alternatively to my first response, you can also insert *any* CUPS
print option into the kprinter "Additional Tags" tab (make the dialog
expand by clicking on "Options >>"). Make sure you read the "WhatsThis"
help blobs which are omnipresent in kprinter's dialog.

You'll also have to start "kprinter /path/to/textfile" from the command
line.

However, once you started kprinter from the commandline, click "Proper-
ties", you'll discover the "Text" tab, which lets you allow to set all
kinds of CUPS print options which are supported for text printing via
the GUI.

(I almost forgot that, and it came back to memory now that I indeed had
the opportunity to actually run kprinter one more time).

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS