Set default printer from command line?

Dean Montgomery dmonty at sd73.bc.ca
Fri Sep 7 17:38:40 CEST 2007

How do I set the default printer for kde from the command line?

For cups "~/.cups/lpoptions":
lpoptions -d library

For kde's "~/.lpoptions":
???

I tried symlinking the two files but kde has its own settings that cups
re-writes/deletes which in turn is not recognized by kde and breaks kde
printing.

== Background ==
We are in the process of installing linux/kde on all of the teacher and
student desktops in our school district.  I wrote a small script to detect
which room the user is in and change their default printer to that room at
login.  This way people can move around the school and the printer follows
them.  I hope someone will have a way to set kde's default printer from the
command line.

I've looked at the kprinter man page and the help:/kprinter html help.  I've
tried fiddling around with the options but I've had no luck.

--
Dean Montgomery
Network Support Tech./Programmer