Problem printing to Samsung ML 2571N

Christer Sandberg christer.sandberg at mdh.se
Wed Jul 11 08:47:46 CEST 2007

On Tuesdayen den 10 July 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>Christer Sandberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Which version of CUPS? Which version of KDE/kdelibs? Which OS?
>>
>> Distro: Ubuntu 7.04
>> cupsys: 1.2.8-0
>> Kde: 3.5.6
>
>To harvest a better debugging output follow these steps (sorry to rely
>on the commandline exclusively). Do them in a konsole window, as root:
>
> (a) Stop your CUPS daemon     : "/etc/init.d/cupsys stop"
> (b) Empty your error_log file : "echo '' > /var/log/cups/error_log"
> (c) Edit your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf so that it contains the line
>     "LogLevel debug"; save the file
> (d) Restart your CUPS daemon  : "/etc/init.d/cupsys start"
> (e) Print something that previously failed. (Well, maybe the restart
>     of CUPS makes it work for a while again?)
> (f) Stop your CUPS daemon     : "/etc/init.d/cupsys stop"
> (g) Investigate the error_log file line by line. If you don't find
>     anything obvious, post a link to it so one of us can look at it.
Thanks for your detailed instructions!
The error log says repeatedly "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data
provided" but I don't know what to do about it. Both error_log and
cupdsd.conf are here:http://www.idt.mdh.se/~csg/cups/

Note that there is also another thread, "KDE-apps does not print", on this
mailing list concerning the same subject (I re-posted the same question when
I didn't get any response after a week, sorry for that).
I think Cristian Tibirna has some ideas about a possible bug in the KDE
printing system and/or problem with the configuration of my Ubuntu (which is
a just standard installation with KDE packages installed on top). But there
is actually no solution or work-around so far.
--
Christer