Me too: "Kprinter has stopped working - Unable to startchildprintprocess "

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Feb 6 21:26:42 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 14:09, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 11:50, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 February 2007 10:47, Andrew Myers wrote:
> > > Hi Kurt:
> > >
> > > Did you manage to solve this problem or, if not, have you devised a work
> > > around to print stuff from kde?
> >
> > Sorry, no, not yet. I'll return later this afternoon to the machine
> > in question; I'll still have to see what the result is of the last
> > test Michael had suggested to run.
>
> OK, I was able to run a (very short test).
>
>  1. created a new (non-root) user; this user can print with kprinter
>     without any problem
>
>  2. the user that had problems with KDEPrint still can't print; same
>     problems as before. In addition, this user now does not even see
>     kdeprintd listed any more underneath "kded" when he runs "kdcop"
>     (the GUI to dcop) -- and the command  "dcop kded kdeprintd"  now
>     does return:
>          "object 'kdeprintd' in application 'kded' not accessible"
>
> Strange.
>
> I've no idea what's going on.  But later I'll move away ${HOME}/.kde
> for the user with the problem and let him start a virgin KDE session
> (previously I had already tried that with the two files kdeprintrc &
> kprinterrc in  ${HOME}/.kde/share/config/ on their own, but that did
> not help...).
>
> But I can't do that right now, sorry.
>
> Cheers,
> Kurt

It works now again.

I have noticed a *lot* of files with the following scheme for their
names, all in $HOME of the said user:

   .DCOPserver_myhostname_:NNN -> .DCOPserver_myhostname__NNN
   .DCOPserver_myhostname__NNN

(where the filename with the ":" was always a symlink pointing to the
one with the replacement "_", and where "NNN" was a figure ranging
from "0" to "255").

I'm not sure what caused the creation of all those files, but somehow
there seemed to be a limit of 2^8=256 to their number.

I deleted them all but the ones with "0", logged out of KDE and back
in, and now kprinter works again.

Will be watching if anything does re-create those files. So far I've
only the "*_:0" and "*__0" files here.

Cheers,
Kurt