Me too: "Kprinter has stopped working - Unable to startchildprintprocess "

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Feb 6 15:09:41 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 11:50, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 10:47, Andrew Myers wrote:
> > Hi Kurt:
> >
> > Did you manage to solve this problem or, if not, have you devised a work
> > around to print stuff from kde?
>
> Sorry, no, not yet. I'll return later this afternoon to the machine
> in question; I'll still have to see what the result is of the last
> test Michael had suggested to run.

OK, I was able to run a (very short test).

 1. created a new (non-root) user; this user can print with kprinter
    without any problem

 2. the user that had problems with KDEPrint still can't print; same
    problems as before. In addition, this user now does not even see
    kdeprintd listed any more underneath "kded" when he runs "kdcop"
    (the GUI to dcop) -- and the command  "dcop kded kdeprintd"  now
    does return:
         "object 'kdeprintd' in application 'kded' not accessible"

Strange.

I've no idea what's going on.  But later I'll move away ${HOME}/.kde
for the user with the problem and let him start a virgin KDE session
(previously I had already tried that with the two files kdeprintrc &
kprinterrc in  ${HOME}/.kde/share/config/ on their own, but that did
not help...).

But I can't do that right now, sorry.

Cheers,
Kurt