Authentication to CUPS from kprinter

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Sep 12 12:13:54 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 08:42, Helge Hansemann wrote:
> Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > On 11 September 2006 07:48, Helge Hansemann wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I still have a problem when trying to authenticat a user using kpriner
> >> to a CUPS server, e.g. for canceling jobs.
> >>
> >> Using the konqueror, I get an authentication dialog which works fine
> >> Using a shell command "cancel -h server job-id" works fine, too.
> >>

> > What do you mean with "using konqueror"? What are you doing exactly?
> >

> I have a SuSE 10.0 client, without a cups server running and a CUPS
> server, Version 1.2.2, compiled from source.

Which version of KDE is that?

> I´m accessing the CUPS server on the https port, but Port 631 shows the
> same problems.
>
> Using konqueror for accessing the server via a web interface and trying
> to cancel a job results in a popup for authentication.
> Using the shell command results in a prompt for authentication.
> In both cases, the jobs can be cancelled if the right credentials are given.
>
> Using kprinter results in a access denied popup, no matter which
> username and password I use in the System Options.
>
> The server section for canceling jobs is like this:
>
>      77   # Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or
> authenticate a job...
>      78   <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
>      79     AuthType Basic
>      80     Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
>      81     Order deny,allow
>      82   </Limit>

Please do also post the complete contents of

  $(kde-config --localprefix)/share/config/kdeprintrc
  $(kde-config --localprefix)/share/config/kprinterrc
  /etc/cups/client.conf    # leave out the comment lines
  $HOME/.cupsrc            # leave out the comment lines
  $HOME/.cups/client.conf  # leave out the comment lines

(Some of these files may not exist on your system)

Cheers,
Kurt