about backporting to 3.5

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Mon May 8 13:17:31 CEST 2006

On 8 May 2006 03:48, Goffioul Michael wrote:
> Normally, local printers are already detected by CUPS and you can
> retrieve the list through a CUPS request. This is already implemented
> in the "Local" page of the wizard. Local printer discovery is quite
> hardware dependent; outsourcing it to CUPS makes like simpler.

Yes, I'm aware. In fact, there is the issue of marking printers already
present in user's collection as such in the auto-detection page of
addprinterwizard. As I said, I didn't go in much detail. And anyways, we will
meet different issues related to implementation issues in the road for sure.

> For network printers, you might still have to scan the network
> "manually", but maybe CUPS can help also here (I've been told a few
> years ago that CUPS-1.2 would bring improvements in printer discovery
> process).

I couldn't tell. I know that local usb printers are now detected dynamically
(i.e., hooking up a printer makes cups becoming aware of it "live", even at
the http frontend).

> Regarding printer configuration, something I had in mind but never
> found to the time to implement it, is to provide a way to grab a
> printer driver from a centralized driver location, like
> linuxprinting.org.

Ah! Thanks for remembering this. Yes, it is an important issue.

Thanks

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org