KDE printing to CUPS

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Wed Mar 22 08:59:31 CET 2006

> <snip>
>
> This is the default job name, when the calling application
> hasn't defined it (which is unfortunatley often the case...).
> This should not be the case with document printed from
> applications that define the job name correctly (like
> konqueror(?) or kword).
>
> <snip>
>
> Well it seems that when the user opens a document (.ps, .pdf,
> etc) through konqueror and tries to print it from there it
> always attaches "KDE Print System".  Is it not possible to
> get the associated viewer program to open the file and print
> it from there?  How would I go about doing this?

I should have said "khtml" and not "konqueror". The viewer
component is responsible for the print operation, not konqueror
per se (which is then more of a container). When printing a web
page in konqueror, you should normally get a meaningful job name.
For other components (kpdf, kghostview...), it's their
responsbility to define the job name correctly.