Question about duplex printing

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Jul 25 01:26:33 CEST 2006

On Monday 24 July 2006 22:02, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> Hi, how can i know if the user selected duplex printing or not in the kdeprint
> dialog?

No idea... I thought programmers can read + understand the KDEPrint
code :-)

> I need to know that so i can pass it to poppler to generate the PS
> accordingly.

Ah.

Well, but I think you need not to know :-)

Poppler (or any other app), as a general rule, should not generate PS
which is "device specific" like that. Their output should be device
*independent* as much as possible. {There are exceptions: they'll
have to take into account the media size that is desired, with the
appropriate margins ("ImageableArea" in the PPD).} At least if it
comes to KDEPrint + CUPS -- these do know how to add the duplex code
to the printfile. {CUPS does this with the help of its builtin
"pstops" filter, that is also reading the PPD and therefor knows
which specific [and frequently device-dependent] code to insert so
that the print device indeed does duplex.

> Or should i always create a non duplex PS and kdeprint will modify it
> accordingly?

Exactly.

> I'm not subscribed to the list so please CC me on answers.

Done.

> Thanks
>
> Albert

Cheers,