Cannot get Epson R300 printer to work

Jordi Marqués jormartr at yahoo.es
Tue Feb 21 18:10:58 CET 2006

Hello, I am using Debian Etch, and installed every cups related package, and
some gimp related I found that seems to have drivers for my Epson R300. The
assistant completed without problems, and it even let me choose between two
drivers:

EPSON Stylus Photo R300 - Cups+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc2 [English]
Epson Stylus Photo R300 (Foomatic +gutenprint-ijs.5.0)

I installed one, and after testing the other. When I hit on the KDE printer
control panel to test the printer, the message telling that the test to the
printer has been succesfully sent, then an error message appears via Knotify:

"A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

cupsdoprint -P 'Epson_R300_(Foomatic+Guten)' -J 'KDE Print Test' -H
'localhost:631' -U 'root' -o '
multiple-document-handling=separate-documents-uncollated-copies
orientation-requested=3' '/usr/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps' : execution
failed with message:

client-error-not-possible "

Also, the Epson tools that appear on the menu doesn't work (those to test the
printer, see the ink levels and so...)

Does anyone know what can be the cause?