Lost of authentification in CUPS 1.2rc3

Alexander Kern alex.kern at gmx.de
Wed Apr 26 21:25:46 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 26. April 2006 08:58 schrieb Goffioul Michael:

> This means that during a CUPS_ADD_PRINTER request to the server,
> the device-uri attribute is not defined if it does not need to.
> The reason is that this operation is also used to modify an existing
> printer. Redefining the device-uri attribute would overwrite the
> existing one, and potentially loose authentication data.
>
> Here's the scenario:
> 1) you create a SMB printer, which requires authentication, hence
> you used a device-uri like smb://username:password@GROUP/PRINTER
> 2) later on, you request the printer list from the CUPS server, for
> the printer above, you get as device-uri smb://GROUP/PRINTER; you don't
> get back the username and password
> 3) when modifying the printer (but not its name or device), you can't
> include the device-uri of step 2, because you would loose the
> authentication
> data from step 1; and the information of step 2 is the one you have
> available at the time you want to modify the printer.
>
> I doubt this is the cause of your problem, because this only makes
> sense when modifying a printer, not when creating a new one. In the
> latter,
> the device-uri attribute must be there, and according to the debug
> output,
> it is there.
>
> Michael.

Thanks for explanation.

I have found, that this error is fixed in trunk, but not in 3.5 branch, which
I use for testing. If we port it back, we have working kdeprint with both
versions of CUPS and both KDE trees.

I've got a couple of patches from kubuntu peoples. Some of patches looks like
hardwiring of kubuntu specific paths. Should I post they here for discussion?

--

Best Wishes
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Alex Kern