Auto is missing in kprinter; still a problem

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Thu Sep 8 09:56:45 CEST 2005

> On 27 July 2005 07:56, Herbert Engelmann wrote:
> > That is because having "Auto" in the ppd file is not the
> same as appending
> > "Auto" without it being in the ppd file.
>
> Excuse my ignorance. Could you please explain further?

See http://lists.kde.org/?t=112245761000002&r=1&w=2

The problem is that in KDE < 3.2, kdeprint used the CUPS PPD parser, which
automatically added an "Auto" option in the ppd option describing the
InputSlot, although this choice didn't actually exist in the PPD file.

Now, kdeprint uses its own PPD parser (which is required if you want to
support non-PPD-compliant options, like the numerical options used in
Foomatic). So, this CUPS-specific Auto tray does not appear anymore.

The first try-out with adding explicitely an "Auto" option in the PPD file
doesn't seem to solve the problem. A further look at the options sent to
CUPS and their translation into the PS file should be done. Note that it's
not kdeprint or Qt that put PageSize/PageRegion statements in the final PS
file, but CUPS, while processing the print job.